The student squad is an opportunity to pair students who are seeking continued university employment, in this new COVID remote working culture, with faculty and departments requesting assistance via the roles identified in this program. Students meeting all employment eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply.
- Expand student employment opportunities for the transition to the online and hybrid centered classroom.
- Provide “in-class” faculty support to manage meeting functions, chat and interactions, and moderate Zoom waiting room and class meetings.
- Organize and edit course content to align more closely with Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and accessible course delivery standards.
How to Apply ?
Zoom Producer and Educational Media Assistant
Students inquire with your department(s) and/or login to Handshake to view available positions.
Classroom Experience Assistant
If you are interested in applying in the Classroom Experience Assistant, please complete the interest form. You will be contacted for an interview if a position becomes available.
This role assists the instructor (host) in managing administrative aspects of the Zoom meeting/class. The producer can be designated as the Host, Alternative Host and Co-Host in the Zoom meeting.
The producer may interact with courses by:
- Providing logistical instructions
- Managing breakout rooms and polls
- Admit participants in waiting rooms
- Moderate chat
Educational Media Assistant
This role assists faculty with editing course material and audiovisual content. This may include captioning or editing videos, organizing media catalogs and scanning course material for accessibility standards. The media assistant can be designated as the Educ Media Asst role in a Canvas course.
The media assistant may interact with content by:
- Reviewing for accessibility (using software tool);
- Creating accessible PDFs from existing documents.
- Identifying permalinks to library-provided digital content such as articles, book chapters, and eBooks and generating citations
Classroom Experience Assistant
This role is designed to assist faculty with the nuances of the classroom in the first few weeks of the semester. Therefore, it is considered a short-term position. However, students in this role could transition into a Zoom producer and/or Educational Media assistant. The experience assistant can be stationed in the hallways of buildings where classes are offered and is aligned with the building/room assignments.
The experience assistant may interact with faculty by:
- Assisting with classroom equipment training
- Being visibly stationed throughout buildings where classes are offered, hallways
- Directing flow of foot traffic entry/exit from classrooms
Student Squad Training Course
Students who have completed the hiring process and have been referred for training by their hiring manager must enroll in the self-paced Student Squad Training Course and complete the Modules applicable to the role in which they have been hired.
Students in the Zoom Producer role can either attend in-person training or complete the self-paced Zoom Producer module in the training course. The Zoom Producer must complete the exit ticket in the training course upon completion. Click the link below to register for access to the training course.
Have questions about the hiring process? Contact the Office of Student Employment.
Questions, Concerns, Suggestions
For questions, concerns, or suggestions about this page, email the team at email@example.com