Zoom is a web conferencing tool that provides a virtual meeting space, including break-out rooms, screen-sharing with annotations, and the ability to record meetings. The Canvas-Zoom integration allows instructors to schedule class meetings from within their Canvas course.
Before You Begin: If this is your first time accessing Zoom at Tulane, create your Zoom-Tulane account. Open a new browser window and visit: http://tulane.zoom.us. Click Sign In to configure your account.
Add Zoom to your Canvas course menu
- Log in to Canvas as the course instructor or administrator and navigate to the course where you would like to add the Zoom link.
- Click Settings.
- Click Navigation.
- Drag Zoom from the hidden items list to the place where you would like it to appear in the navigation [or click Enable].
- Click Save.
Setup a class meeting with Zoom
- To get started, click Zoom on your Canvas course navigation.
- Click Schedule a New Meeting
- Input your meeting settings:
- Topic: the title of your meeting
- When: select a date and time for your meeting
- Duration: the total amount of time the meeting will occur
- Select Recurring Meeting if your meeting will occur more than once
- Host/Participant: select whether you would video to automatically turn on/off
- Meeting Options
- Click Your new conference meeting will be visible under “Upcoming Meetings” tab
Once your meeting is scheduled, your students will receive a notification via their Canvas Inbox. By default, students also receive an email notification for all Inbox Messages. In addition, the meeting will appear on their Canvas calendar. The Inbox message for the Zoom meeting will include who created the meeting, the title of the meeting and a link to the meeting.
If you receive an error message similar to “Could not identify canvas install url” or “Could not identify oauth parameter”, then you may not be logged into Zoom or may not have created your Zoom account with Tulane. Please see the ‘Before You Begin’ section of this page and login to Tulane-Zoom to create your account. Then, close all browser windows and retry the Zoom-Canvas meeting setup.
Questions? Please open a ticket with Tulane TSNOC at 504-862-8888 or support.tulane.edu.