Instructors can weight grades in Canvas using two options. The first option is to weight individual assignments by giving them a relative point value. As an example, homework assignments may be worth 20 points, quizzes worth 30 points and exams worth 50 points.
The second option is to create an Assignment Group in your course. An Assignment Group is a tool in Canvas that groups similar assignments and weights the assignment groups by their percentage of the overall grade instead of the individual assignment. Assignment Groups could represent homeworks, quizzes, exams, journals, readings, papers and so on. Instructors can customized the named assignment groups.
Creating Assignment Groups
Step One: Add Assignment Group
- Login to your course and select the Assignments tab from the menu.
- Select the +Group button located on the top-right of the screen.
Step Two: Save Assignment Group
- Input your preferred Assignment Group Name in the Group Name text field.
- Select Save to create the group.
- Repeat this step as needed to create additional assignment groups.
Step Three: Weight Assignment Group
- Select the Gear button located on the top-right of the screen.
- Select the Assignment Groups Weight button from the drop-down list.
- Check the box to enable the Weight final grade based on assignment groups option.
- Input the numeric value that represents your assignment group weights.
- Select Save to return to the Assignments window and view the applied weighted groups.
- Edit the weight groups and totals as needed.