Cognos is a platform for enterprise reporting, ad-hoc data querying and self-service analytics to assist you in making better decisions. It provides for visual data exploration, managed self-service and enterprise reporting. Benefits of this platform includes:
- Ease of use through a unified interface that exposes functionality in-context, as needed.
- Improved efficiency with a robust enterprise platform to satisfy all business intelligence needs, including scalability, governance, security, and performance.
- Unified and consistent user experience across the web and mobile.
Using Cognos, authorized Cognos licensed staff can view and run standard University financial and student reports that they have access to. Data and administrative professionals with authoring capabilities can use Authoring to create ad hoc queries or run existing queries.
Data from the University data marts are organized into packages within Cognos. These packages provide data for pre-built reports, as well as providing data sources for ad hoc queries via the Authoring and Dashboard tool.
Custom Report Request
To request a custom report, submit a request through Service Now with your detailed requirements. Allow ample time for the report/data extraction to be completed. Your request will be routed to the appropriate developer for assignment.
The assigned report development team will acknowledge a reporting and business intelligence request within two business days. As a follow up, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- The type of output needed
- Method of distribution
- Actions or decisions to be made as a result of information contained in the report or extract
- Detailed requirement specifications including Banner form and field names where applicable
- Detailed requirements for data outside of Banner/ODS/EDW
- Necessity for inclusion of private information such as social security numbers or grades
- Frequency of report generation
During the development process, you will need to:
- Correspond and meet with the assigned report development team throughout the project.
- Present the needs and requirements of the user in a concise manner
- Participate in timely testing and validation of reports or output.
- Provide sign-off that the project meets mutually agreed upon requirements.
It is important to plan ahead and take development time into account. We cannot set a standard, fixed amount of time and effort necessary to complete report development and data extraction requests as each report development varies depending on the development resource and requester availability, complexity, data availability and requirements, and scope.