The Tulane WordPress Network is open to users in the Tulane Community. You may request a site through the Support Portal. After your site has been commissioned, you will need to put in some effort to get the site user-ready and user-friendly. Site setup includes selecting a site theme, customizing menus and layouts, as well as adding pages and posts with your content.
Request a WordPress Site
- Visit the Technology Services Support Portal – http://support.tulane.edu
- Login with your Tulane credentials and request a WordPress site.
Setup your WordPress Site
- Login to administer your WordPress site.
- Select and customize your site Theme. [Appearance menu].
- Tulane subscribes to Elegant Themes; recommend Divi Theme for most flexible customization; make sure your theme is using a responsive format
- Add site administrators, editors, authors, reviewers and other users as needed. [Users menu].
Add Content to your WordPress Site
In WordPress, you can write either posts or pages. Pages are typically for static content, such as your Home page, About or Contact Us pages. Pages can be used to create your site navigation and menus. Posts are typically used for regular blog entries or information that entails action. By default, posts are setup in reverse chronological order. You can also add other content to your site, including Media such as photos, audio and video and also Forms.
- WordPress Guidelines for Writing Posts – https://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_Posts
- WordPress Guidelines for Pages – https://codex.wordpress.org/Pages
- Start-to-Finish Guide for your WordPress Blog Post – https://moz.com/blog/optimizing-your-wordpress-blog-posts
Recommended Resources and Best Practice Guidelines
- WordPress Lessons – https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Lessons
- Divi Theme Documentation – https://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/divi/documentation/
- Using Categories and Tags in WordPress – https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/tips-tricks/best-practices-for-using-categories-and-tags-in-wordpress
- Blogging Best Practices – https://www.onblastblog.com/blogging-best-practices/
- Lynda.com – video tutorials available on writing a blog post – http://lynda.com/
- Make WordPress Accessible – https://make.wordpress.org/accessibility/
- WordPress Accessibility Support – https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-accessibility/