What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser used for taking tests in Canvas. LockDown Browser prevents students from printing, copying, visiting other URLs, or accessing other applications during a test. If a Canvas quiz/assessment requires that LockDown Browser (and/or Respondus Monitor) be used, students cannot take the test with a standard web browser. The LockDown browser should only be used for taking Canvas exams. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas.
Where can we install LockDown Browser?
In most cases, students will download and install LockDown Browser on their own machines. The initial install can take anywhere from a few moments to several minutes depending on the user’s computer. If an assessment is setup to use LockDown Browser, the student will be prompted to install this software before they can take the exam. In other cases, it may be necessary to deploy LockDown Browser to an entire room of computers in a lab or classroom setting.
We highly recommend installing LockDown browser in advance of the exam day/time, applicable in either a classroom/lab deployment or on a personal computer.
Is there a cost associated with Respondus LockDown Browser?
Tulane licenses Respondus LockDown Browser for use in areas of activity related to teaching, research and public service. There is no charge to Tulane users. Tulane also has a limited, concurrent-use-license for Respondus Monitor to secure identification and environment information from remote users in a non-proctored environment.
For more information about Respondus and related tools, please visit Respondus.com.
Respondus, Inc. offers instructor trainings throughout the year. The webinar provides a good introduction to Respondus. An up-to-date webinar schedule can be found at www.respondus.com/webinars.
For Respondus and additional training workshops and webinars at Tulane, please visit training.tulane.edu.
Guide: Respondus for Instructors
Instructor – What do I need to do to deploy an exam with LockDown Browser?
- Create the online assessment within your Canvas course.
- Find and select LockDown Browser from your course menu.
- Locate the quiz from those listed and choose the arrow to Modify Settings.
- Select the radio button to Require LockDown Browser for this exam.
- Modify the Advanced Settings as needed.
- If Respondus Monitor will also be used, select the radio button and modify settings as needed.
- Save and Close the Respondus settings.
Instructor Quick Start Guide [View/Download]
Guide: Respondus for Students
Student – What do I need to take an exam using LockDown Browser?
Before you take the exam: Download and Install LockDown Browser
When you are ready to take the exam:
- Open LockDown Browser and go to http://tulane.edu/mytulane > click the Respondus LockDown Browser login
- Registered Tulane students choose the Tulane Users login option.
- All other affiliates choose the Tulane Affiliates login option.
- Login to your course and Locate the assessment within your course.
- Open the assessment and follow the instructions on the screen to begin.
- If the instructor is using Respondus Monitor, in addition to LockDown Browser, you may be prompted to setup your webcam to collect information about your testing environment.
- Begin your online assessment.
- Click Submit when you have finished the assessment.
- Exit LockDown Browser.
Student Quick Start Guide [View/Download]
Respondus: Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if the LockDown browser settings are set correctly?
To confirm that an assessment will require students to use Respondus LockDown browser, open a standard web browser. Next, login to your Canvas course, then enable Student View from the course settings menu. Navigate to your assessment in the course, then attempt to start the assessment. You should be unable to begin the assessment if everything is set correctly.
As an added measure, start Respondus LockDown browser and log into Canvas using a student account, then begin the assessment. If everything is set correctly, you should be able to start the assessment using Respondus LockDown browser.
Can I edit the name of the assessment after it’s been setup to use LockDown browser?
Instructors should not edit the name of the assessment or related access password once the assessment has been Enabled with LockDown browser.
When should students install Respondus LockDown Browser?
Make sure students know well in advance that they must use Respondus LockDown Browser to take an online exam. This is especially important if students are required to install Respondus LockDown Browser to their own computer. Students can download and install Respondus at any time during the semester and in preparation of any future online exams via Tulane’s Canvas LMS. [See above Guide for Students.]
How can I enable LockDown Browser in my course?
Respondus LockDown Browser is enabled by default in your Canvas course navigation. Select LockDown Browser from the course menu and apply the desired settings for your assessment. You can disable this tool at any time by editing the course Settings > Navigation tab in your course.